Monday, February 16, 2015

In Which I Speak {Once More} of Kaya + Mosi

  There was someone who disliked my use of "Kaya Atonmy". Again. Unfortunately {or fortunately, whichever you choose} the link had an extreme curse word in the title, so I had to delete the comment which held it.

   I skimmed through the post, and found that it was about Kaya. I actually agreed with a lot of the article {though the swearing should never be in a post about American Girl dolls. Young girls read them, and no one needs to see those words. Ever.} But then she got personal and said something rather rude about yours truly. Yes, moi. Because of me naming my doll Kaya Atonmy.
   Look peoples, I named my doll Kaya Atonmy. Leave Me Alone. I also made Mosi Kaya's sister, because in my doll town I didn't want her to have to live by herself. Why is this such a big darn deal? Plus, I can't help saying this but, SINGING BIRD IS A DIFFERENT DOLL. She's a Gotz-type doll that I named Singing Bird, whose real name is Fidelia. This person accuses me of naming Mosi Singing Bird. I actually had to dig back into my archives to double-check. I was actually planning on naming Mosi "Speaking Rain". Burn, baby, burn.

   Final point: We can name all of our dolls whatever we like. Leave us alone, please. And get a life if you feel the need to nitpick my choices. Or do it in private, but not in public. This is creativity, people! Be creative!! And please don't swear.



I feel the need to name her Speaking Rain :)

Love,

Willow + the Fellowship

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Sometimes it's amazing how rude people can be on the Internet. Kaya Atonmy is a perfectly good name for your doll, and I think if I had Kaya I would make her name something like that, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely! You have every right to name her what you want, in fact; one of my doll's name is Hannah (aka Hannah Montana, please don't kill me for naming her that :) I think it's fine what you name her and it's no one's business what you name her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I nominated you for the Good Friend Blogger Award! Check out my blog ( thedollydistrict.blogspot.com) to get more info. :)
    ~J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with this! How horrible that people can't accept different ideas. My Isabelle's middle name is Luna. Can't count how many funny looks I've gotten over that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I just say....something? Just hear me out, please.
    I really understand both sides of this argument.
    About Kaya and Mosi being sisters: I'm partially Cherokee, and at first when I started reading your blog I was a bit offended as well, because I thought you were trying to portray an "all Native American tribes are the same, there is no difference" view. Now that I've read more, I understand that that was not at all what you were trying to do and say.
    Names: And again, I understand what you're both saying. I personally would name Kaya "Kaya'aton'my Black" (though I would need to do more research) because I know that that is a fairly common Native last name, but I do understand your point of view on the matter.
    They are your dolls, and I do wholly respect that, but I'm just trying to get you to see how it might come across as rude. :)

    I hope this doesn't come across as mean at all, but I just wanted you to know that, as partially Native, I do agree with some of what you're each saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, thank you for being reasonable and sensible. I will consider the name change :) Also, the reason for giving all the Native American dolls the same last name was to make them all the members of the same tribe, from a family, instead of all from different tribes.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I moderate the comments before they're published, so it may take a little while before it's published.